Saturday 16 April 2016

The Future

‘The future’s coming’, my teacher said
‘When is it coming, will I be in bed?’ I said.
The future is coming, nearer and nearer
The concept, the idea, is still no clearer
I don’t understand, maybe I’m thick


Is it today, is it tomorrow?
I must be ready, could I beg or borrow,
a clock or watch to count down the hours
I’ll check them both, yours and hours
Listening out for the merest tick


Yesterday’s gone, really old hat
Today’s come now, imagine that!
Yesterday was today’s yesterday 
 Tomorrow is tomorrow’s today.
Perhaps this is a great con trick?


‘I’ll do it tomorrow’ the husband said
‘Today I’ll have a rest instead.’
‘Tomorrow’s come, will you do it now?’
Asks the wife, risking a row.
It’s today now, tomorrow needs a psychic


‘So when will you do it?’ she cried in desperation.
‘When I can fit it in, using alliteration.’
‘Does that mean today or tomorrow?’
‘Perhaps twoday or twomorrow
It’s a long job even working manic.’


She gave it up descending to despair.
‘So you are saying it’s all in the air
But when you work hard, it all goes so fast.
It turns out well even when vast.
I do think that poetry is really your schtick.





No comments:

Post a Comment